Updated: Jun 26
What are the SavvySpender.ie Monthly Supermarket Price Comparison studies?
We compare how much the big 3 supermarkets charge for a basket of groceries containing a mixture of well-known brands across a number of categories including dairy, household cleaning and food cupboard. We also include own-brand meat and fruit & veg items.
In addition, we check the prices of a baskets of dozens of own-brand grocery items at Aldi and assess versus a comparable basket of own-brand items at Dunnes Stores, Supervalu and Tesco.
How we calculate the average prices
We check each item in both studies over a dozen times each month and work out the average price over the course of the month.
Our study includes short-term promotions where the cost of buying an individual item is discounted. However multi-purchase (for example: 'buy 3 for €10') promotions aren't included.
The products are comparable. In some instances there are slight variations in sizes/weights between the own-brand products at the different supermarkets.
Find out the results of April's analysis below
April 2023 Cheapest Supermarket - Basket with Brands
The basket of branded and own-brand goods price comparison looked at 39 products. Across this basket which includes well known Irish staple brands, Tesco was cheapest of the big 3 supermarkets in April.
Both Tesco and Dunnes shoppers would save nearly €5 versus Supervalu shoppers if buying this basket without any vouchers.
However regular shoppers at Supervalu or Dunnes who avail of Shop & Save or Money-Back vouchers, could potentially get the basket for cheaper than Tesco shoppers.
April 2023 cheapest basket with branded goods - the details
April 2023 cheapest supermarket for own-brand
The basket of own-brand goods price comparison compared 37 products across Aldi. Dunnes Stores, Supervalu and Tesco. A range of categories are covered including chilled & frozen foods, fruit & vegetables, food cupboard, household cleaning goods & meat.
April 2023's cheapest own-brand basket
Aldi had the cheapest own-brand basket in our April study at €87.27. Supervalu was most expensive at €89.64. This was less than 3% more expensive.
Supervalu shoppers using a Supervalu money-back voucher could get this basket of goods for cheaper than in Aldi. The same applies for Dunnes.
April 2023 cheapest own-brand basket - the details
Notes on Variations in Own-Brand product sizes
- Cod Fillets - Dunnes 300g chilled, remainer 450/500g
- Frozen Garden Peas: Aldi & Tesco 1Kg, Supervalu 750g, Dunnes 1.08Kg
- Bananas Multi-packs: Tesco 5 pack, Dunnes 6, Aldi & SV = 7 packs
- Brown Onions: all 1Kg bar Supervalu (750g)
- Gala Apples: Aldi & Supervalu 6 piece, -Tesco 7, Dunnes 8
- Bran Flakes: all have 750g bar Dunnes which is 500g
- Tin of Peas: all 420g bar Tesco's 300g
- Tomato Ketchup : SV 470g, Tesco 555g, Aldi 650g, Dunnes 740g
- Detergent Gel: SV 18 washes, Aldi 24, Dunnes 25, Tesco 30
- Fabric Conditioner: all 42 washes bar Supervalu which is 50
- Pork Mince: all 800g bar Dunnes which is 715g
- Medium Whole Chicken: Aldi & SV 1.6Kg, Dunnes & Tesco 1.5Kg
Want to save on your supermarket shop?
Click here to read our top tips for grocery shopping.
Click to compare the prices of grocery specials at Dunnes, Supervalu, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl & Centra.